[pianotech] Fork and piano temp. and pitch

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu Feb 21 19:12:04 MST 2013

Absolutely true, and part of my point. I'm confronted with the situation
fairly often that I have to tune a piano in a storage room before a day
of rehearsals, leading to an evening concert. The temperature range is
often 10-15 degrees, sometimes more, and that is enough to require
thinking about "Where do I want this piano to be later? And how will I
get it there?" I admit that my precompensations for anticipated drop are
guesstimates, but at least I'm trying to anticipate, rather than blindly
setting it at "440" as if that's where it will wind up.

The question of just how sensitive the users are to slight variations in
pitch figures in, too, but maybe in a separate thread.

~Mark