[pianotech] Notching Machine Maiden Voyage

Stephen Grattan lostchordclinic at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 19 05:10:44 MST 2013

Absolutely beautiful.  Well done!

Steve Grattan
Lost Chord Clinic

________________________________
From: Jim Ialeggio <jim at grandpianosolutions.com>
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Sent: Mon, February 18, 2013 10:33:42 PM
Subject: [pianotech] Notching Machine Maiden Voyage

I've been working on this bridge notching machine on and off for a while.
Finally got all the bits and bugs worked out. It's cutting notches cleanly,
relatively safely and efficiently.

To make the notch, the bridge is mounted cap side down on a powered sliding
table. The sliding table runs on linear motion bearings, powered by a 12v linear
actuator (automobile power window actuator). It's set up with a self latching
solid state relay and 2 micro switches. This means the cut cycle is automatic
and hands free, and controlled through the potentially dangerous climb cut.
Motion is slow steady and slop free.

The notching machine is temporarily mounted on the table saw when in use, but
its only on the table saw to run the cutterhead off the table saw arbor.  2"
diam cutterhead spins@ 7000rpm.

Set the cut up by aligning the drilled bridge pin holes with a kerf that the
cutterhead has cut in a sacrificial backer.  A mirror mounted on the non-sliding
base near the cutterhead gives clear sight of when the bridge is lined up
correctly with the backer board.

The sliding table/integral clamp and clamped bridge are the only things that
slide during the cut. The cutterhead remains stationary, skewed 1 deg from
square to table travel.

The weird shaped  secondary clamping board's purpose is to be able to clamp the
bridge at 2 points, instead of just one point. This, particularly in this
design, is essential, because the bridge will have a tendency to rotate during
the cut unless restrained at a second point. In use the whole setup was pretty
easy to use, even on a maiden voyage... even though I'm still learning what it
likes to do and what it doesn't like to do.

It was originally inspired by a desire to use a epoxy laminated bridge cap,
Nossaman style with veneer & epoxy. On this job though, I had to, at least
temporarily, abandon the epoxy lam cap because I was not comfortable with the
adhesion I was getting between veneer laminations. This cap is 3 laminations
w/titebond.

Jim Ialeggio

-- Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com