[pianotech] Broadwood cottage upright

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat Feb 9 11:59:12 MST 2013

Ah Giuseppi,

How kind you are to cut me slack: an it please my lord, cut quantities
as copious as may please you withal.

I left my Piano Atlas in the home of a client two weeks ago, and having
had a week sucked out of my life for jury duty, have not had time to
retrieve it.  I told the customer that it looked to me like an 1870s
piano.  HOWEVER, gentles all, when I got home I checked the serial
number, 62361, on www.broadwood.co.uk, a site as official as it gets,
and came up with the 1886 date, since 60250 is dated as 1885.

I was fairly negative about having any work done on the piano when I
went to appraise it, and I will confirm this view, having thought about
it, in an email to the owner.  The piano is a perfect fourth low in
pitch, and though the (oblong, yuk )pins seem reasonably tight, the
strings are pretty rusty.  The original action cloth covering the heads
of the capstan screws has in the past been replaced (all but the end
half dozen) with a baize material that has in turn worn through.

All in all, it hardly seems worth attempting to do anything with this
piano which is about twice the age a piano should live, especially one
like this.

Best regards,

David.