[pianotech] question about agraffes and uprights

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 9 01:39:43 MST 2013

Roger,
     The mention of uprights in the context of your contention is moot, I suspect, because I've never seen an upright where the agraffe serves as the termination point -- they are always above the upper plate bridge, where they are simply providing neat string spacing. And as for the rest of your post: I don't see any disagreement between us (just approach) because the "metal on metal" zing you refer to is, I believe created by the more widely-waving strings in a larger piano, with more volume and sustain, where they impinge on the termination. So it is the same material-to-material in a small, agraffe-less grand, but the strings don't as likely "zing" in them because the strings are not, due to short length, as physically displaced by hammer blows to create buzzing at the contact point.

Thumpe