[pianotech] practice rail issue

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 20:27:51 MST 2013

Hi Everyone,My last piano today was a Young chang  G116  The practice/mffler rail was doing this odd thing.  my customer said it was broken. So I looked at it and when I hooked it up, it would come toward me rather than over the hammers when the pedal was depressed.  By inspecting the picture, is it possible that the spring is bad causing it to flip to the wrong dirction?  The part with the red felt that connects to the pedal rod seems to be facing the wrong dirctino. the reason I think it's the spring is due to the fact that if I try to face the part with the red felt in the correct direction, the spring flips it back to the wrong position. Plus the spring looked odd in the middle when I took it out of the piano.  This practice rail is the typie that sits on a bolt and a round nut I guess flat on top turns and tightens the rail in place.  The part with the spring that catches the pedal pushes into a hole in the side of the piano, but hangs loosly.  What are your thoughts? The other problem is that the damper lift rod squeeks when I depress the sustain pedal. There is a creaking sound  around that area when I depress the pedal.  Is ths only way to correct this  to take out the action remove dampers number t hem of course  and lubricate that damper lift rod?  What would be a good remody for that rod?  Woudl goose juice do the trick?  ThanksMarshall

Marshall Gisondi
MARSHALL'S PIANO SERVICE
215-510-9400
http://www.phillytuner.com