[pianotech] Damper tray block

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 19:37:54 MDT 2012

Greetings,
    It will be about the same size as the other end.  Your hole
placement will be as high as the other, assuming your keyends are even
across their span. If you are keeping the old tray, you can measure the
distance from each of the key ends  to the distal wall of the action
cavity and work backwards from there, or put the tray in the optimum
in/out position for wires' verticality and determine where the hole
should be by distance from the distal wall. I use a depth gauge to
measure the distance from the pin to the wall, and then subtract half
the diameter of the pin to determine where the hole should be drilled,
or, you can copy the remaining block, drill a trial hole, and go from
there.  It is easy to plug a mis-drilled hole, (damhik).
  Hardest part is getting the hole right for the mounting screw. I would
place a punching, with just a spot of glue on one side directly over
the hole in the piano, and with more glue on the front, press the block
on to it so that the punching transfers to the back of the block.
Drill there.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html