[pianotech] Capstan installation

David Stanwood stanwood at tiac.net
Fri Sep 28 12:49:40 MDT 2012

Hi David B,

I've faced this question many times.  Speaking anecdotally I feel
that there is little or no difference in playing quality generally.
The question usually is about the economics.  One can replace shanks
for those with a different knuckle core radius or move knuckles on
existing shanks.  Compatibility of the wippens is an issue here.  Or
one can simply move the capstan line to correct ratio.  If the action
parts are in good shape and the action regulated, the latter is
probably a more economical choice.   If making a decision when
choosing new parts I prefer using 17mm vs say 15.5mm because
impreciseness of knuckle location is more of an issue when the
knuckle core radius is smaller.  I feel that the 17mm radius gives a
smoother feeling action. I can then fine tune the ratio with capstan
placement if needed.

David Stanwood

<snip> >Is there a difference between an action with a low key ratio