[pianotech] Perma free II

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Sep 26 14:48:15 MDT 2012

I just pinned a B from a college. 8 yrs old. I have the opposite issue as you David. Seems like they were aiming at zero friction. The rep levers and hammer flanges were repinned Friday...boring job. Pro felted the keybushings. Big improvement. I glued riser felts on the wippens supports to keep the hammers from flopping down into backcheck canyon and then jamming against the rocksa...I mean backchecks.
All in all the sound improved, the action feels more solid. It went from 0-1 gram friction prior to my  new pinning at 3 or 4 grams quite consistently for the hammer flanges.
The  rep lever went from a sloppy fit with a number 20 center pin and negative friction and a mushy bushing to now I have enough friction to increase the rep spring tension and prevent the jamming jack issues with a 21 1/2 center pin. Jack pinning was crap too but hey no money.
And why do people use these substandard parts.  Oh that's right! Now I remember.
 See Ron I still have brain cells. Yup...they're gen-u-whine Steinway parts.

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com