[pianotech] Permafree II

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 26 14:23:54 MDT 2012

David Love asked:
"I've got a Steinway action that is seizing everywhere: jacks, hammer
flanges, etc. Anyone found a good controllable solution short of repinning
everything or changing parts? I know, alcohol/water w/ heat is the
recommended approach but it produces very inconsistent results in the
hammer flanges in my experience.

David,
I've had fair results using Perk. Super saturate the action parts with it,
while in direct sun. Move the parts vigorously as you are doing it.. Perk
is a heavily control substance by the EPA and other alphabetic entities.
So, it's difficult to get. You need a sympathetic Dry Cleaner Person, (you
didn't hear this from me<G>). A gallon will last a very long time. Use in
WELL ventilated area. Avoid direct skin contact. It is a very dense liquid
that weighs almost twice as much as water. Suspect some real nasty
carconogenics is involved.<G> I've tried Picirin, Energine, and a whole lot
of other cleaning fluids, but Perk is the only one I've found to get any
results from. It is activated by heat, hence the direct sun thing. Hope
that helps,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police