[pianotech] Installing agraffes

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 26 11:34:03 MDT 2012

On 9/26/2012 11:40 AM, максим зубов wrote:
> What torque value is usually considered normal when installing grand
> agraffes? It's my understanding that if the torque is insuffucient,
> agraffes may turn during a tuning - on the other hand, by tightening
> them too much one can break them or strip the threads in them and
> possibly in the plate too. So, what range of torque values is considered
> as the norm, in Newton-metres or anything else. Or, let's say that in a
> different way: should an agraffe feel more like a very tight bolt or
> more like a slightly tightened bolt?

A new agraffe with the undercut shoulder, finger tight and about 30-45°
short of alignment, then tighten them down to final alignment.

> Also, what is the maximum allowed difference of the agraffes' heights
> resulting from the use of agraffe washers? If one agraffe if like 0,7
> millimetres higher than anopther one, would what be alright?

They should be a lot closer than 0.7mm to the same height. I don't have
a measurement, but as close as you can get. You don't need washers to
install agraffes either, except maybe for height adjustment. Have a few
extras of each type on hand and trial fit agraffes in each hole until
you get one that snugs up about right, then move to the next hole.
You'll find there will nearly always be an agraffe in the pile
adequately suited to any given hole. An agraffe wrench like that
pictured can be made from a socket extension and T handle, and will spin
them in and out very quickly.
Ron N