[pianotech] GH1 - pitch lock?

Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft alliedpianocraft at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 08:50:10 MDT 2012

How many would you suggest? (guess-timate)

Al -
High Point, NC

On Sep 24, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

On 9/24/2012 9:10 AM, Ron Koval wrote:

> I pulled out my little canister of pitch lock clips and went to work on the
> bridge side of the strings - closer to the bridge has a minimal effect, while
> further into the speaking length has a more dramatic effect.  The unison can
> be "tuned" by moving the clips - the further from the bridge, the flatter the
> pitch.

That follows. What you're doing is effectively adding mass to the speaking length, requiring more string tension to get the pitch back up. This increases the break%. Since the basic problem with these things, among others, is a low break% in the low tenor, this makes it less bad.

> It is really, "less bad" than before.  The downside is that the only way to
> tune those strings now is with all three sounding - a nightmare! That, or maybe
> sliding the pitch locks up and down.  I'll be experimenting as the weather changes...

Let the owner know what you're doing, and maybe after a couple of panic service calls, funds will become available to put in some wrapped bichords down there.

Ron N