[pianotech] Action ration measuring

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sat Sep 22 18:47:07 MDT 2012

 Cy
 Bering a simpleton myself, I agree.
 If a few of us take a few measurements and compare the data. we'll find out if"Does this average out the "arc" effects? For accuracy lets all do it this way. Use a metric ruler to set the dip at the front of the key. remvoe drop screw and let-off button(or crank it out of the way)Then measure the hammer rise as accurately as possible.

 All actions are subject the accelerating action phenomena to changing ratios thru the complete range of motion as the capstans is moving further from the wip center pin and the increasing leverage efficiency in the wip.
 FWIW...I've had brainiacs more smarter than me compute things to the small decimal points and say 6 mm is enough of a sample. Is it? Dunno for sure but seems to work.

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.

Is this significantly different from using your existing tool, Dale, where you just measure the first part of key travel and hammer rise?

Does this average out the "arc" effects?

--Cy--

Cy Shuster, RPT
Albuquerque, NM

www.shusterpiano.com