[pianotech] Action ration measuring

Jim Ialeggio jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Sat Sep 22 10:02:27 MDT 2012

Ron said:

<It always annoyed me that the cumulative leverage of the presumed
moment arms matched so poorly with Dale's 6mm in/out direct measurement.
Something's wrong, and I'll take direct first.

I've tried to press the point that though these formulas assume the
pivots are true pivots, they are not all true pivots. This has to effect
the equivalence of the equation. This is especially and critically true
of the pivot at the knuckle/jack contact.  The actual ratio is variable.
Hohf calculated a 6.125 advantage of the hammershank @ rest modulating
to a 8.02 advantage @ letoff on one of his models. The argument then is
presented that we "solve" for that complicating fact by measuring the
levers @ half stroke.

Okay...take the measurements @ half stroke. However, if one calculates
from half stroke, we are faced with the question of what precisely the
definition of half stroke is.  I suggest, that the actual location of
half stroke makes a difference in whether the resulting ratio agrees
with real-world regulating specs.

My take...the position of half stroke should be determined by 1st
determining the  full arc the hammer would travel, driven by the key at
its full dip,  with the hammer unimpeded by the letoff button. Full
hammer  travel in this scenario is of course more than blow(-)letoff,
but it exceeds blow as well.

This works the ratio question backwards from the result to the specifics.

(Full hammer travel)/(overall key dip) = overall ratio.
(Full hammer travel)/2 = hammer @ half stroke.
(Full key travel)/2 = key @ half stroke

Take lever arms from this position, with the critical knuckle/jack
contact and resulting lever arm being at the actual contact between jack
tip and knuckle radius @ half stroke.

(the thread title seems to think the ratios should be rationed, and I
would absolutely agree...in the strongest of terms...if only I could
figure out what that means...it seems like it ought'a be a good thing to
agree with...<insert absurd emoticon here>)

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com