[pianotech] Action ration measuring

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Sep 22 09:57:15 MDT 2012

On 9/22/2012 10:30 AM, David Love wrote:
> Using your method (if I understood it correctly) I get the following on
> my action model.

As unclear as my description was, I put the attached jpeg together. That
might change things.

>The measurement of dip to hammer travel yields 37/6 or
> 6.16.  Interestingly, your method of measuring the levers yields a lower
> AR than my method (measuring the key to the end and the wippen to the
> jack center pin) yet moving the dip measurement 20 mm in from the end of
> the key will, of course, produce a higher action ratio than mine
> measuring at the end of the key.

Wip out and hammer out is different too. Hammer out, for instance, is
about half way between center pin to molding center, and center pin to
strike point.

>Perhaps these things are action
> specific, though it’s hard to imagine why.

I don't see how they could be either. Check the drawing against my poor
description of measurement points, and see what you get. ???

Ron N