[pianotech] Action ration measuring

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Sep 19 20:29:30 MDT 2012

I'm glad this was reposted on this list as I've tried to respond to the
other list via email with no success.  I use the following guidelines for
measure action ratios.  Different people use different methods, I find this
one to be the most accurate and meaningful.

This is the beginning of addressing the other question which appeared on
that other list but which I was unable to respond to with some hoop jumping.
This had to do with different ratios between sharps and naturals.  The
bigger question is what is the overall ratio of the system and the second
question would be what are the hammer weights (or strike weights if you
prefer) that will give an indication of whether the match between leverage
and hammer weight was correct.  The issue of different ratios for sharps and
naturals is a non issue, in my opinion.  I agree with Nick G. that concern
about the magic line is overrated.

Once the action ratio is known then with a combination of various other
criteria, the hammer weight or strike weight can be optimized always (as it
should with the action ratio) keeping in mind the implication for regulation
specs.

Sorry I don't have a picture.

Ea = is the actuating segment of the lever

Ra = is the reacting segment of the lever

-Key Ea is measured from front of key to center of balance pin at punchings
measured along the bottom of the key.

-Key Ra is measured from center of balance pin to perpendicular line which
passes through center of capstan top measured along the bottom of the key.

-Wippen Ea is measured from the wippen center pin to a line perpendicular to
the contact point of the wippen heel/capstan contact point measure along a
line between the wippen flange center pin and the jack center pin.

-Wippen Ra is measured from the wippen center pin to the jack center pin.

-Shank Ea is measured from the hammer flange center pin to the center of the
knuckle core measured along the shank.

-Shank Ra is measured from the hammer flange center pin to the center of the
hammer molding measured along the shank.

Calculate the ratio of each lever according to following example RA/EA. The
action ratio will be a product of the ratio of the three levers.  In this
case .49 * 1.59* 7.47 = 5.79

Ea

Ra

	Ratio