[pianotech] Action ration measuring

Brown, David dcbrown at mail.smu.edu
Wed Sep 19 16:59:46 MDT 2012

All -

Asked this question on the wrong list……….

I have enjoyed very much the ratio discussions, especially the ongoing one as few weeks ago ( key in , key out etc) that Nick and several others contributed to. My question-

What is a practical way to actually take those measurements, especially the key measurements? Many times I will put a long center pin in a wip flange, tie off some carpet thread and use that to look at the lines of compliance for key- wip- capstan, but how to measure key in- key out accurately and predictably? Calipers? Rulers? Also, I have seen a couple of ways to measure for key in - from balance point to the end  of the keytop, from balance point to where the front pin enters the key. This relates some to what Fred was posting, but thought another topic would not muddy things up.

Thanks for this interesting discussion

David

David C. Brown RPT
Piano Technician