[pianotech] Jesse French Grand

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 14 23:47:46 MDT 2012

Ron said:
"I suspect that the current shift una corda prevailed more because it was
REALLY CHEAP and easy to build in, rather than it's wonderful tone and
timbre manipulation potential. Like the pinned bridge string
termination. It is left as an exercise of the casual browser to invent a
justification after the fact of why the survivor is maybe superior, and
the justification is based on what we are used to seeing, which is the
cheaply produced survivor."

Ron,
The fact remains that the Unichorda came before this rather strange
configuration. It was something "new" at the time of it's inception, which
was something from the Harpsichord technology of the the time. This Thang
on the Jesse French was a whole different animal, and I suspect it was one
of those Edsel ideas that didn't fly very well up against the existing Left
Pedal/Unichorda. Don't think "Cheap" had a damned thing to do with it. Of
course, you could, (and probably will), argue otherwise.<G>
That's my take,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police