[pianotech] new Steinway casters on old steinway legs

William Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Fri Sep 14 22:55:22 MDT 2012

David,

We did it here in my shop a year or so ago - 1926 M.  The new caster socket
is larger and we ended up tipping the drill press table near vertical,
clamping the leg in upside down and using a large forstner bit to enlarge
the hole for the socket.

PITA, sort of, but it got done.  I was a little concerned about how much
wood remained around the perimeter of the leg, but it's been fine.

William R. Monroe