[pianotech] Bridge pins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 14 15:23:15 MDT 2012

On 9/14/2012 2:50 PM, Paul Mulik wrote:
> A Kawai grand that I service regularly has three or four bridge pins
> in the high treble that are leaning at the wrong angle.  The bridge
> is not cracked or split, but the pin holes are somewhat larger than
> they should be.

What are they doing that needs fixed? Making noise?

> I have not attempted such a repair before, but it looks like all I
> need to do is remove the strings and bridge pins, put a little epoxy
> in the holes, reinsert the pins at the correct angle, and wait a day
> or so for the glue to dry before putting the strings back on. Is this
> all there is to it, or am I missing something?

If the holes have enough slop to allow that, yes, that will do it.
Overnight glue cure is probably plenty. Check to make sure the pins will
go where you want before putting in the epoxy. Dry fit before you
commit. If there are no splits, and it's just a matter of getting
something down in the hole to support the pin, CA should work too and
you can string it back up in the same trip. Are these pins at the plate
struts, perhaps?

> Are the bridge pins glued in at the factory, or simply driven in?

Just driven in.

Ron N