[pianotech] Bridge pins

Paul Mulik paulmulik at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 13:50:06 MDT 2012

A Kawai grand that I service regularly has three or four bridge pins in the high treble that are leaning at the wrong angle.  The bridge is not cracked or split, but the pin holes are somewhat larger than they should be.

I have not attempted such a repair before, but it looks like all I need to do is remove the strings and bridge pins, put a little epoxy in the holes, reinsert the pins at the correct angle, and wait a day or so for the glue to dry before putting the strings back on. Is this all there is to it, or am I missing something?

Are the bridge pins glued in at the factory, or simply driven in?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik