[pianotech] brass rail duplication

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Sep 12 07:59:15 MDT 2012

On 9/11/2012 8:05 PM, Encore Pianos wrote:

> Finally, the 64,000 dollar question:  Would any of my dear readers find
> a tolerance of .035 acceptable, or is that value totally out to lunch?
> If you were in my shoes, where would you be finding yourself sitting?

A whole bunch of things, most of which I won't get into.

Point one: it's a junk job; old parts put back on a new rail. That's for
perspective.

Yes, the duplication should have been more accurate, but you wouldn't
have replaced old action parts with new and not had to have done
extensive regulation, so that's not a crisis.

0.035" will NOT adversely affect the intersecting arcs/geometry/stars
alignment adversely. Get real. And that pittance made the hammers hit
the damper heads, and that's a problem?

I'd have just shimmed the rail up as necessary to get the center pin in
a working position and gotten on with it without starting a cost
escalation landslide that should have been addressed in the planning
stage. It already has too much money and time involved for what it is,
and the action parts are still 100 years old, which puts hair splitting
and puffing up in indignation on the back burner. The compromises are
already outlined by the job, so make it work without wasting any more
money and time than has already been done. The bigger the deal that is
made of this, and the more expensive it gets, the greater (justifiably)
the customer's expectation of quality and performance, which isn't in
the job in the first place. You've adopted an elephant with diarrhea.
Congratulations, and good luck.
Ron N