[pianotech] mics on soundboard

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Tue Sep 11 20:08:34 MDT 2012

Gordon,

At Sydney Town Hall the sound guys use Shure PZMs, which they say are
pretty economical and the performance is good. They usually place two
under the lid, one between the long bridge and top end of the bass
bridge (mics usually have no problem getting lows so the low bass
will still be picked up with quite good levels), while the other is
placed over the long bridge at approximately the middle of the second
top string section. They just stick them on with gaffa tape, and no
felt between. It tends to work best on the short stick, since full
stick will increase the spill from the band and reduce the sound
pressure level from the treble which reaches the higher mic.

Lid-shut can be used as well, but the result tends to sound like a
"piano in a box".

Lid-shut will be improved if the piano is shielded around the case
from the floor to the rim. Canadian jazz singer Holley Cole performed
in Sydney with a set up like this a couple of decades ago, and I was
impressed with her and her band, and the sound coming out of the
piano despite that fact that the lid was shut. For her set up, her
sound engineer used a number of large black-foam blocks which went
from the floor to the top of the outer rim. These were assembled to
form a 'foam-fence' right around the case. It was amazing just how
much it stopped spill from the band getting into the piano track.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers