[pianotech] Re. Baldwin hammers

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Sep 11 14:05:07 MDT 2012

Thanks for reminding me, Wim -- time to replace the nail polish remover
inside the plastic bottle inside the ziploc bag inside the 6-pack cooler
inside my trunk.

I was gluing on a rubber button. Protocol: after being sure you've got a
fit, put a drop of Elmer's Glue on the side of the hole in the lid,
spread it around the rest of the circumference with a tiny screwdriver,
then take the rubber button, and put a couple of drops of CA glue on the
sides which will contact the hole. SMALL drops, one each side. Squeeze
out on a satin finish is pretty well there for the duration, especially
since it's right next to the rubber button. If you do have squeeze-out,
try to wick it up with the edge of a handkerchief, WITHOUT RUBBING.

<don't ask me how I know ...>

Do NOT get some Elmer's on the second joint of your left index finger,
and then allow your CA-contaminated thumb to contact that spot. With CA
glue alone, one can kind of rip one's fingers apart from whatever they
are stuck to, losing only the most superficial layer of skin. Not so if
one's anatomy had a smear of Elmer's there first. I don't know why the
CA bond penetrates so many more layers of skin with Elmer's in the mix,
but it sure does.

(The Glue Trick's Revenge?)

Luckily I was glued to myself, not to a stationary object, so I walked
to the car, got the nail polish remover open (one-handed), poured some
on the very firm bond, worked at prying it apart, poured some more,
worked some more, poured some more, worked some more, and then I was
free without scarring or loss of blood.

Set up CA IS soluble in acetone -- sort of.

Susan Kline