[pianotech] Re. Baldwin hammers

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Sep 10 12:42:20 MDT 2012

What are you using to re-glue the hammers? How do
you clamp them?

I put super glue on the molding, squirt some kicker on it, and then clamp the felt with vice grips. It sets in about 30 seconds.

If there are less than 10 hammers, and then only the top, I do this with the action on the piano. But when there are more than 10, and especially when there are a lot with the felt loose on the bottom, I take the action home. The problem is that when I do one side, the other side comes loose. That is why I am able to convince the customer to replace the set.

The problem is mostly on Hamiltons, but it has also happens on consoles, as in the piano I pictured.

Wim