[pianotech] Steinway back checks

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Mon Sep 10 10:32:25 MDT 2012

Larry,

Some clarification is needed.  I believe current design is shorter than
their previous long-time traditional design.  Are these backchecks even
shorter than the new short design?  And, what exactly needs to be
improved?  Is it that the buckskin is seriously worn?

In my experience, the short checks are as good as the long checks, with
the advantage that they are less likely to interfere with the sostenuto
blade.  Recover vs replace is a personal decision; I prefer
replacement.  Steinway backcheck wires are splined at both ends, not
threaded.

hope this helps

Mike