[pianotech] alternative to new bridge

Gene Nelson nelsong at intune88.com
Sun Sep 9 17:09:04 MDT 2012

After calculating a new scale, I have the lower tenor part of the bridge
figured ok - adding 5 bi-chords and a shorter aux bridge joined to the
original.
However, the upper tenor to the top is another question.
>From note 53 to the lo-tenor works out very well but note 54 to the top
requires that I lengthen the spl's by 10mm tapering to 3mm in order to get a
decent scale. Means a big dog leg at the strut.
I thought of adding material to the back side of the bridge and machining
the opposite to keep the bridge width close to original.
Or - possibly cutting the bridge at the strut, repositioning 3mm back at the
top and just rotating it to get the 10 mm at the strut, then rejoining with
epoxy and a new bridge cap and maybe a couple of filler pieces to help round
it off at the dog leg. Anybody think that cutting the bridge like that would
be a bad idea?? It's probably a bit less work.
Gene