[pianotech] 3 sound boards???

David Weiss davidweiss at embarqmail.com
Fri Sep 7 19:18:47 MDT 2012

Someone call me today to make a tuning appointment, and told me they have a
piano with 3 sound boards.  Hmm.

They told me the brand was a Heppe and Sons and the plate says Edward Jules.

I did some poking around on the internet and came across this blurb on the
Blue Book of Pianos:

HEPPE & SON

The C. J. Heppe & Son is the leading piano made by the Heppe Piano Co. The
pianos made under the direction of the Heppe Piano Co. are produced by two
factories in uptown Philadelphia. The Heppe Piano Co.'s product differs from
all other pianos because that they have three sounding boards instead of
one, an invention which was patented in 1902 in the United States and
foreign countries.

Anyone familiar with this?