[pianotech] Repair to console music desk

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Sep 7 11:09:37 MDT 2012

On 9/7/2012 7:41 AM, Paul McCloud wrote:

>   The better fix is to
> drill a hole up from the bottom edge of the music desk into your
> split area.  Insert a brass hammershank repair sleeve (insert a piece
> of shank if you like) and glue this in the hole.  I suppose you could
> just use a hammer shank and use your shank drill to make the hole.

You can. Just a shank (7/32") works fine, or a 1/4" dowel, and I think
makes a stronger assembly since the Titebond adheres to all the parts. I
typically use two shanks (dowels) and a long enough screw to go through
both of them.

> Then, just drill through your new insert using the existing screw
> hole as a guide.  Insert the screw and you're done.  Obviously, if
> there's a missing piece in the music desk, you'll have to fill it or
> fabricate a repair piece of wood and refinish it first.  But, adding
> an insert will prevent the screw from splitting it again. Hope this
> helps. Paul McCloud San Diego

Or you could put it on backward like customers almost always do, letting
the lid front support it instead of the little foot, which makes the
leverage on the repair less. <G>

Ron N