[pianotech] Repair to console music desk

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Sep 7 09:23:33 MDT 2012

I think what is "best" depends on how bad the break is and what
situation the piano is in.

One decent repair of this inherently fragile system which I've seen is a
strip of brass about two inches long, screwed into the back of the music
desk, which bends around the end. Three holes, two for the screws into
the back of the desk, and one which is just big enough for the end screw
to go through. I'd put epoxy into the splits and let it set up before
installing the brass.

If I remember right, I've seen this setup factory original as well.

If I'm putting one of these music desks back on (without the brass
strip), I always warn the owner not to tighten the screws. Always leave
enough room for the music desk to move side to side a fraction of an
inch. Screws into end grain -- what a lousy idea.

Susan Kline