[pianotech] Agraffe problems

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Sep 5 11:09:34 MDT 2012

Greetings,
    Ok,  so this happens in our trade, someone spends too much time by themselves and their genius begins to come out where others can see it.  There may be some defensible reason for doing this, but I suspect idiocy.
These agraffes can possibly be turned back straight with no problems, but the termination is likely to be compromised, as well as the strings deformed in weird ways.  What effect that will have is anybody's guess, but it is the cheapest, easiest, and quick thing you can do, perhaps saving your energy so that you can smite the rogue that did it when you see him.
        I wouldn't shim these,but rather, replace with new, since there is no telling if the genius really torqued the existing agraffes past a factory set position, or they were loose to start with.
       Also,  I don't think you will be able to tune them like this.

Ed Foote RPT
http://www.piano-tuners.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html