[pianotech] More PianoDisc Help Please

Larry Fisher RPT larry_fisher at pdxtuner.com
Mon Sep 3 14:46:18 MDT 2012

The smoke test has taken out some parts.

Possibilities  ........  bad driver board, bad solenoid taking out driver board, I don’t think it’s the power supply because it’s fairly well protected with fuses.

OK so is your power supply the boat anchor attached to the inside rim?  the totally black with a ribbed heat sink??  the totally black fairly light weight slim box full of holes??  or is it the wall wort and black brick style consisting of numerous outboard components??

There could be a pinched wire between the rail cover and the underside of the piano.  There are few thousand other possibilities for pinched wires.  Eliminate all of them.

A shorted key solenoid is extremely rare but it happens.  Make sure all those pesky white connectors for each key solenoid are plugged in their proper spot on the driver boards.  It’s really easy to miss a pin or get the order wrong under there.

Wires pinched against the driver boards or routed such that eventually the sharp points on the circuit boards will find their way through wire insulation is a really good way to enjoy a PianoDisc BBQ.  Dress the grey cable that goes to all the driver boards and the CPU board so that it doesn’t get pinched between the back side of the circuit boards and anything else.  This cable carries 45 volts DC with plenty of current.  It’s enough, under proper conditions, to fill the room with a PCB bouquet.  The rest of the system runs on relatively low current voltages used to move data and perform switching operations.  I don’t remember specific voltages right now.

Your balance between the piano and the audio needs to be balanced.  This is a function of set up.  Follow the instructions for iQ level set ......   from memory (mine), using the multifunction lever on the iQ box, push it left until it lights up the level lights (two right I think) then press in once, start a piece playing setting the volumes on the speaker and the piano at about half, then press the multifunction lever again.  All the lights should light up for a few flashes and go back to only the power light being lit up.  ( I know I’m really close on these instructions)  The piano may play really loud for a few seconds and then return to normal.  Lowering the overall volume for the entire system should now produce much better control and much softer playback.

As with working on any sensitive electronic equipment, be careful not to short things out or pinch wires.  Be especially careful when reinstalling the rail cover and dress the wires out of the way before you press it to it’s final position.  I know it’s a pain under there but I’ve learned to use my knee on one end while working with the other end.