[pianotech] Square Grand Hammer Shanks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 19:59:20 MDT 2012

Patrick said: "It turns out that the hammer shanks on the grand I am
working on are
undersized, about the diameter of spinet shanks but longer than the spinet
version. I am thinking about reducing the ends of standard upright shanks
after cutting them to size. However my standard hammer shank reducer can't
take off that much (.04 inch). Is there such a thing as a tool that will
reduce the shanks to the right diameter available?
Thanks"

Patrick,
Ya needs to pay attention! I've addressed this multitudes of times.<G> In
the Schaff Catalogue, Page 1174, Titled "Pallet Rods", #706!
These are sufficiently long enough for the job. Reset your Hammer Shank
Knurler and go to it. HOWEVER, I advise you buy, at least 200! The quality
is not the best, (like other hammer shanks.<G>), so you'll have a wad of
Rejects! Hopefully any/all who aspire to work on Square Grands, will read
this. I just wish Schaff would Label those darned things with that option!
(Like: Pallet Rods/Square Grand Shanks)
Hope that helps,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.