[pianotech] Square grand Key pins and Backchecks

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu May 31 18:43:54 MDT 2012

Below

- "like thick elk hide". There is nothing to suggest that there ever was
any leather on the checking surface. These hammers have been checking on
the dense-ish felt surface. You stated that there was "usually" a leather
layer for the checking surface - was it sometimes just the felt?

Short answer: Yes. The only consistency, was a total lack of
consistency.<G> If it needs to be replaced, try to match what is there.
Since there is very little mass in square grand hammers, it doesn't take
much to stop them in check. Since it is a Single Escapement Action, there
is no springs/levers resisting checking, as in Grand Actions. There is a
bit of "spring", if you will, from the backcatch wire, that's all.

> > Sometimes the
> > whole thing was all leather and the softer stuff was usually Rabbit.
>
> I don't understand what you are referring to: "the softer stuff was
usually rabbit". What softer stuff? Where was it?

If there was a softer, more flexible leather, it was usually Rabbit. Rabbit
tends to separate, so it wasn't used much.

> Thanks again!
You'reWelcome, (again<G>). Glad I can help. It's always a pleasure to work
with someone that wants to do it right!

> Terry Farrell

Regards,
Joe