[pianotech] Square Grand Hammer Shanks

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 31 15:20:57 MDT 2012

It turns out that the hammer shanks on the grand I am working on are
undersized, about the diameter of spinet shanks but longer than the spinet
version. I am thinking about reducing the ends of standard upright shanks
after cutting them to size. However my standard hammer shank reducer can't
take off that much (.04 inch).  Is there such a thing as a tool that will
reduce the shanks to the right diameter available?
Thanks
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983