[pianotech] Fwd: re-fabricating a failed soundboard

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon May 28 08:53:30 MDT 2012

Hi Dale,

 >I'd rib crown it a bit and dry it less. I'm more curious about the
tonal quality of using the old panel versus a new one...

Exactly my take.

 >Honestly I don't think it would be difficult to sell to some clients
of vintage pianos on this idea and you'd be making more than 3 dollars
per hour.

This is the crux. It needs to have a market...and I bet you could turn
this flavor of market on. But the belly would have to sing...keep the
Bulls..t down.

 >The problem is some one will start saying its more better or selling
it as a features or something with spin on it

Unavoidable. Particularly since _all_ customers require and are actively
looking for something to believe in. This aspect of rebuilding is my
least favorite part of this gig.
But do we need to take ownership of somone else's Bulls..t? MAke the
board sing(if possible) and it could be a viable item, which requires no
old growth trees be cut down.

You are stuck with the original grain orientation, which for me is a
bummer...but..I don't know...chew on the question

Jim

--
Jim Ialeggio
jim at grandpianosolutions.com