[pianotech] re-fabricating a failed soundboard

jim at grandpianosolutions.com jim at grandpianosolutions.com
Mon May 28 07:39:04 MDT 2012

>That's been acknowledged a lot of times here. The part of the question
that's left out is what type of construction is being used. Countless
compression crowned boards failed since being built. If these boards
being discussed required re-ribbing and insertion of strips of old
spruce to compensate for the compression set that didn't happen  and
take them back to full width from which they mysteriously presumably
shrunk somehow, they were apparently among the failed. Reproducing the
conditions under which the original failed with the original material
seems to me to be rather optimistic and not really paying attention.

Right. But it should be noted here that the technique was demonstrated
in the context of a conservation of historic fabric seminar.

My interest here was not in suggesting that this technique as a way to
make or replace boards. I don't even buy into the notion that these
reconstituted boards are precisely the board and sound these historic
pianos had when new...actually, as someone coming out of the historic
conservation world, I find that despite whatever conservation method was
used, that the result is still wildly speculative. I'm not interested in
basing my designs on speculative information. My take is that we really
will never know what the original pianos sounded like, except in very
broad strokes, like sustain time.

Rather, my interest was in the panel itself as as a substance. I was
curious to see what resilience was left in a panel which had experienced
compression failure. Not the board as a structure, as we know that's
failed, but the panel wood in and of itself.  Is there any resilience
left?  It does seem that there is, as when the old ribs are steamed off,
the panel, though shy of the original width, still was being restrained
by the ribs. They reported that the wood, freed of the rib restraint,
expands somewhat.

However, when they steamed the sucker to get the ribs off, the EMC
changed, so at what EMC was the expansion measured...don't know...

But on the other hand the panel was capable of opposing the reglued
ribs, so there is cellular viability left in the aged compressed wood.

In any case, just take the panel. How would the aged wood with cellular
damage at least at the edges, sound like, if used as a panel substance
in a new ribbed/designed structure.   My hunch is that the panel, having
a different resilience profile than when new, would be stiffer than new,
though still resilient.  Carbon fibre, laminated boards, etc are
alternative panel substances which work as panel substances. I wonder
how aged compression beat up spruce, as an alternative panel substance
would  perform?  Again, panel as a substance only, not part of the
original compression crowned structure.

Jim Ialeggio

--
Jim Ialeggio