[pianotech] ETD tuning Vs Aural- Some Wisdom

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon May 28 00:08:23 MDT 2012

There you go again - making assumptions - do you know this for a fact ?
Remember what assume means ?!

OK, so I don't know for a fact that all symphony and studio tuners use ETD exclusively. There probably are a few "tooner" who only use an ETD at symphony halls and for studios. But I do know a LOT of studio and symphony tuners (A lot more than you do), who use an ETD only as a means to get to the end result.

But never mind about who uses them.    You said, "B. S. - that is way - at least, one reason - the ETD's were developed."  I'm sorry Duaine, ETD were NOT developed to take the place of aural tuners. As I said before, The only reason ETD's were developed was to HELP aural tuners.

Then you asked the question. "so what happens when a person can't, for what ever reason, learn the aural tuning skills (enough to do a full tuning) - not tune at all."

Yes, that's basically what I, and a lot of other tuners, are telling you. If you can't, for what ever reason, learn aural tuning skills, then hang it up. You're doing our profession a disservice by claiming you know how to tune a piano, when all you're doing is looking at a dial to tell when a note is in tune. Checking octaves is not tuning a piano. Tuning unisons is not tuning a piano. A lot of people who are not piano tuners can tell when an octave or a unisons is out of tune, and some of them can probably correct them, if need be.  I'm not just picking on you, btw. I would have this same conversation with any "tooner" who only uses an ETD,  and refuses to try to learn basic aural tuning skills. It's just that you're either too pig headed, or arrogant, to understand what we've been trying to tell you for the past couple of years.

Wim