[pianotech] ETD tuning Vs Aural- Some Wisdom

Duaine Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sun May 27 19:59:57 MDT 2012

On 05/27/2012 02:04 PM, Gary wrote:
> To begin, let me mention that I use an ETD.  I was an aural tuner for 27years  before incorporating an electronic
> devise into my arsenal.
> This past Thursday, there was a bit of communication breakdown between a client and I, regarding what time we actually
> made the appointment for.
> Suffice it to say, that appointment wasn't kept.  However, we did reschedule it for Sat morning.  As I was ready to
> leave that morning, I reached for my IPAQ
> on it's cradle, and was horrified to note that the charge light was not on, meaning, well..it wasn't charged.  So,
> what was I to do?  Call the lady and explain that
> my tuning device wasn't charged, therefore I couldn't tune her piano?  What, and really look like a fool then?  No
> way;  I just went and tuned it like I did back in the old days.
> So, there is some worth in knowing..
> gary
>

> On 5/27/2012 6:22 AM, Al Guecia/Allied PianoCraft wrote:
>> ON the money! Well said.
>>
>> Al -
>> High Point, NC
>>

>> On May 26, 2012, at 1:39 PM, Paul McCloud wrote:
>>
>> Hi, All:
>> This discussion about whether to learn aural tuning techniques or not reminds me of something my Guru said to me,
>> "Machines are for experts.  Not for neophytes."
>> When learning any craft such as ours, starting from the basics gives one a foundation to build upon.  If you want to
>> be an expert carpenter or cabinetmaker, you learn to use the hand tools first.  I went to L.A. Trade Tech college
>> when I was 19.  We had to make our first projects with only hand tools, no power.  We had to learn to use chisels and
>> hand saws first before we were allowed to use the machinery.  This is how one learns to master the craft.  If one
>> wanted to be a mathematician, does anyone think it's not necessary to learn the times tables?  Sadly, there are some
>> schools that de-emphasize learning times tables.  We have computers and calculators after all.  Why learn spelling?
>>  This is also not taught properly, as one can see in so many publications and online.  We have spell checkers after
>> all.  If you call yourself a writer, would you learn to spell?  Hey, it's not necessary now that we have
>> spellcheckers.  U no wat i meen?
>> My mother was an audiologist.  She had earned her degree in Speech and Hearing, and had her own business.  Most of
>> that business consisted of fitting hearing aids.  She would often complain that there were hearing aid fitters that
>> did only that, but didn't know anything about hearing, or the anatomy, or anything of pathology.  They were
>> competitors of my mother.  But, if a doctor had a patient with a hearing problem, he wasn't going to send them to a
>> hearing aid fitter.  My mother would get that referral because she knew more and was an expert in the field.
> [...]
OK, I'll bit.... so what happens when a person can't, for what ever reason, learn the aural tuning skills (enough to do
a full tuning) - not tune at all.

B. S. - that is way - at least, one reason - the ETD's were developed.

So, not to get flamed too bad - I still tune unisons by ear and, at the end, I do octave tests by ear.

As the British would say - "put that in your pipe (pronounced peep) at smoke it"

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home&  Business user of Linux - 11 years