[pianotech] ETD tuning Vs Aural- Some Wisdom

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Sat May 26 13:40:38 MDT 2012

Ed Foote wrote:
>   I have seen quacks masquerading as experts for the entire time I have been in the trade.
Alas, too true.
> .  Human interest
> pieces that take pictures of beautiful,old uprights that just glow; never mind the totally shot pinning, bass strings, and actions inside that the
> writer has no idea about.
Once in a blue moon, out here, the inside glows as much or more than the
outside. I saw one big
old upright which had lived in the high desert in Montana, dry all year
long. When it came to
California, untuned for twenty years, it went a quarter tone sharp above
440. Under a very light
coating of light grey dust it was ---- like new.
> ( I haven't met a female tech,yet, that wasn't dedicated to serious
> piano work),

THANK YOU FOR THIS, ED! Truly.

>      I tuned aurally only for many years, and I understand it.  I have used a SAT for some years now, and I understand it.  I think I can hit my target
> with either, but  I haven't seen acompletely top flight tuning done by anyone  with undeveloped aural skills.  I know they might be out there, I just haven't  seen them.

It's very nearly impossible to prove a negative. There might be --- one,
a few ... but how could we
know?

Susan