[pianotech] Stretch in tuning

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sat May 26 08:09:28 MDT 2012

Those are eminently interesting observations Ron!  I especially like
your conclusion: "The closer I get to understanding how all this works,
however, the more I realize that pianos aren't entirely tunable".
Another of your "bons mots" was "No tuning is ever finished, just left
behind", which you modestly credited to someone else.

I stand by my own definition of tuning:  Part arithmetic and part
flower-arranging.

I too have often come across pianos with the top notes more than a
quarter tone sharp. And I have never felt that it's been because the
rest of the compass went flat and the top notes didn't!  I can't think
that it really sounded nice when the tuner had just finished.

I've never attempted to use an ETD for the whole compass. I use it for
the temperament, and maybe if I am struggling with a "killer octave"
(but generally I think I manage that by ear). Like you, I thought in
early days that inharmonicity would ensure that tuning octaves beatless
meant the right stretch automatically.  But nothing is ever simple!

The Steinway guy's octave with eight beats per second at C7 is certainly
interesting. It might sound nice aqnd bright at the end of an arpeggio,
but I can't think that high chords would've been easy on the ear.

Best regards,

David.