[pianotech] bead blasting wood...gently

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Fri May 25 14:57:50 MDT 2012

I have seen some great u-tube videos on cleaning finish off of ornate
carved mantels, etc. with no damage to the wood. There are at least
three grades of baking soda granules for auto body work for removing
paint from fiberglass bodies and metal too. I have used household
baking soda with success in cleaning old and dirty wood action parts
as an experiment. It worked well. It is not aggressive at all.
Household baking soda will not take off paint or finish very well. You
need bigger granules for that. It will clean dirty parts. I use a
simple cheap canister sand blaster that looks like a spray gun with a
pipe nozzle. . It worked fine for small stuff.

Doug Gregg
Classic Piano Doc

Message: 1