[pianotech] No Key Bushings? What a Square!

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri May 25 12:49:21 MDT 2012

I once glued two small (er....) bastard files together with a piece of
mat board in between, so they ended up exactly the right size for a
standard upright mortise. I don't think I'd be keen to use a power tool
to enlarge slots on square grand keys. Life could get far too
interesting far too quickly.

I do remember coming across a very old upright while I was still a
pianotech student, without any keybushings. The keys were quiet. Well,
since I didn't know enough to leave something which was working
perfectly well alone, I tried putting some dag on them -- and they
started making noises.

<blush>

Susan Kline