[pianotech] David Love--Centering the bridge--was S&S something er other

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed May 23 19:47:35 MDT 2012

Before getting too bogged down in the semantics and scientific explanations
I think it's worth discussing the phenomenon of what we hear.  I think we
agree that there  is a percussive component to the tone.  In the voicing
process, for example, we are, among other things, finding some balance
through hammer manipulation between the percussive attack and sustain phase.
It's a delicate balance.  If we either through the process of voicing or
through the process of design reduce the attack phase below some threshold
the piano will seem to lack adequate power at attack.  If we leave the
hammer too hard or are working with a soundboard that is insufficient in
terms of its ability to mitigate the attack phase (for example an old, tired
soundboard or, for that matter, one that is too light), we will have
something that is too percussive and regardless of the sustaining capacity
overall, we may have a hard time achieving the balance that we want.  Some
of these designs or executions that have tremendous sustain but don't
tolerate hard hammers are a good example.

While excessive percussion may manifest itself as a "knock" in the upper end
of the piano it may be more of a "whump" in the lower part of the piano.
Mushing out the hammer by choosing a very soft hammer to begin with or heavy
needling, can reduce that percussive quality but it can also result in
something less than we might want in terms of overall balance.  So can
building a soundboard that is too heavy.  While I wouldn't say that we want
to maximize the percussive/chaotic attack wave form, I would say that we
want to optimize it in terms of the balance between attack and sustain.   A
piano which maximizes the sustain phase at too much of a cost at the attack
phase will not be satisfying for the player either.  It may please us, the
technicians, for whom the sustain phase provides more utility (for example
in the process of tuning), but it isn't necessarily more musical in the
pianistic sense where some level of percussion is desired and in many
respects required.

How this relates to bridge location is a slightly different and more
complicated issue, clearly, but since the quality of the percussive part of
the tonal envelope can be influenced by, among other things, where the
bridge connects to the soundboard and the overall structure of the board
generally, it seems like it's worth considering whether centrally locating
the bridge is, in fact, desirable.   Moreover, since soundboards tend to be
most flexible in the center and less so as you move toward the rim, then is
it worth considering that the dumping of energy is more likely to happen
more quickly when the bridge is centered than when it isn't?

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com