[pianotech] David Love--Centering the bridge--was S&S something er other

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed May 23 07:45:54 MDT 2012

Hi David
 Well perhaps there is no for sure answer. How about a thought? Loud speakers are not the same as Soundboard panel shape but they don't build them asymmetrically either. Yet the edges of the paper speaker cones are thinner for more flexible response as should soundboard thickness be as evidenced by the location of rib end cut outs and thinner panel over those cut-outs due to diaphragmatic thinning, which is common.
  If it is desirable to have a loud speaker pump energy/sound back and forth when projecting sound, does it make sense that a sound board can do the same more efficiently by having its primary energy distribution point, the bridge, more located in the center of the rib & crown?
 I need to use the quality of the sound to answer the question.  I don't always judge sound as better or best but view it like Baskin Robbins Ice cream...37 different flavors , and we all like different ones at different times. Right?.
   I am for example blown away by a more symmetrical soundboard shape in Ron Overs piano on the Rachmaninoff album entitled Lilacs. Trebles in a range of timber like I've not hears before. I'll have some more please. &...then there was my experience with my D in Eureka I posted about last weekend. Loved the sound, a different flavor, but a stock shape, basically a tight grain rib crowned Sitka board with white spruce ribbing.
 All that to say that... to center or not to center influences the sound and if we like it then whistle a happy tune.
Beyond that we simply don't have enough information to predict what one will do over another but there are differences that perhaps can be better quantified by spectrum analysis. Or/and maybe hearing different board shapes in a decent small halls under the fingers of pianists.

 Dale

Dale Erwin... RPT
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com