[pianotech] pianotech Digest, Vol 43, Issue 128

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Wed May 23 04:28:38 MDT 2012

Hi Phil:

Thank you for your explanation and response.  I do appreciate it, and thanks
also for the cc. to Alec.

My pain is not the point here.  I'm not going to go to my grave stewing over
it.  It is a temporary inconvenience.

I can understand certain aspects of their response, they have made some
improvements, but the HL program is disappointingly too much like it was a
year ago.  Were we not supposed to have a new interface some months ago?
And the bug I pointed out has likely been there for many years, and that is
my point since it is so basic a function. It seems likely that Ron Nossaman
is right when he says they probably do not know how to fix it.

I am not averse to other programs for Forum software.  If the powers that be
could consider seeking other alternatives, with the benefit of hindsight
with HL, we could approach other developers with our necessary list of
functions and find something better - I don't think our needs are
particularly unique in terms of core functionality.  A logical, easy to use
interface is out there somewhere, with customizability to meet our
occasional needs.  What is hard about creating an easily accessible Help
system?

David Love has made the point on several occasions that having two forums
existing side by side is ultimately not in the best interest of high
participation and the most free flow of communication.  I agree with that.
Let us start the search for a quality program that our organization can
afford that will replace both the old Forum and the HL one.  I truly hope
that can be put on the table at the National.

I know it is not easy, and that interface design is particularly
challenging.  Some are better than others.

Will Truitt