[pianotech] "Tune your Go#h D##n Piano!"

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue May 22 19:13:46 MDT 2012

On 5/22/2012 5:29 PM, David Skolnik wrote:
> Thank you David.  I am on the verge of adopting this usage.  It will
> feel like an affectation for a while, but eventually, like the
> euro-seven (7 with a line through the stem) that I took on as a youth,
> it will work itself into my DNA.   I just hope it's OK with the
> fundamentalists.

It may be okay with the fundamentalists, but I doubt it would always go
over so well with the Brits, or at least with some of them.

"Bloody" was once a fairly serious swear word there, while it hardly is
known here except from watching the BBC. Ruddy sounds like a variant of
it. "Bloody" was strong, if I remember right, because it stands for
Christ's blood.

We should be careful before we decide to adopt foreign slang when we
don't know what the bloody hell we are saying.

This concern may be wildly out of date, of course ... still ...