[pianotech] Terrys Mason & Hamlin up.

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Mon May 21 07:55:12 MDT 2012

Hi Terry
  I've enjoyed these pictures again and the discussion of engineering of course but where is this piano  now and more importantly....what does it sound like? Who plays it? I don't care how subjective the words you may use to describe it are,  or may seem to some, but I'd like to know. Any recordings?
 I don't know what year this M&H is but I have heard original ones that had a very well made rib scale with more smaller ribs in the top treble  and 17 ribs total. 17 ribs is the same number as a stock D so it had sufficient mass and stiffness from the original design to support crown and drive tone.
 Not only that but the 1905 I heard.... sounded stellar, old strings and all. Amazing sonorous sustain and a balanced  scale thru out. Honestly....I would have been hard pressed to think that in this case the design could have been improved substantially. So I'm curious about all this as I have a Gorgeous Victorian Hardman upright that Carl Meyer gave me before he died and that I will rebuild at some point
 Just my thoughts on it.
Dale

Dale Erwin... RPT
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S pianos