[pianotech] S&S K(52) Restoration

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 18 15:53:06 MDT 2012

I have more pictures of this piano being built, but they are buried - if you have more questions, ask away and I'll try to find what I can.

Below is picture of the panel being ribbed. At the right edge is the bottom of the soundboard. You can see the bottom-most rib is parallel with the bottom board of the piano and after installation, a cut was made on the lower side of that rib to free up the bass.

Below is a pic of the M&H rim/back after modification. Sorry for the confusion, but the laminated structure (striped) that is clamped to the M&H frame is a faux inner rim of a Baldwin M grand. I did that in an effort to show how the Z-Bar shapes the upright soundboard active area to just about exactly the dimensions of a comparable size grand piano after modification with a fish. As you can see, a 52" upright is a slightly larger piano (soundboard-wise) than a 5'4" grand.

Terry Farrell