[pianotech] SS k restoration

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Thu May 17 13:20:33 MDT 2012

Some members on this list advocated getting a circular saw with a BIG blade (concrete saw?) and then running it along a guide screwed to the piano back,
so that the cut goes right along this line, and then replacing the cut with a thin slice of wood when gluing everything back together. I would advocate drilling a few half-inch holes directly into this line (about 2"deep, from back, top, and bottom) then gluing in short dowel pieces to one side of the cut to act as "keys" for when gluing the sides back on, to keep them from sliding around. (A miserable experience when you're lying on your back under the piano, trying to keep things lined up and glue is dripping all over you!)  But I'm not the expert on this ( I've thus far only used the messy method of ramming flooring chisels into the joint -- not at all ptretty!) so I look forward to hearing what The Real Experts suggest.
(Muchly so --- I have 2 spectacular, 1890's Knabe uprights with laminated ribs that will need the sides off, if they are ever to be correctly restored.)

Euphonious Thumpe