[pianotech] SS k restoration

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Thu May 17 11:07:04 MDT 2012

The first Model K I put a new board in was disassembled in just way you are
planning. The second (and last) was not. I don't remember the details
now-it's been 20 or 25 years-but I was able to remove the plate without
taking the sides off of the back assembly. The board also comes out without
too much work. I don't "replace" pinblocks in uprights; I route out the area
around the tuning pin field and fit inserts made up of whatever pinblock
stock I'm using at the time.

If the sides come off of the back assembly easily that is probably the best
way to go. But if they do not you can still do a good job with them in
place. I don't remember the second job taking any longer than the first.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication

6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA

Phone  360.515.0119 - Cell  360.388.6525

 <mailto:del at fandrichpiano.com> del at fandrichpiano.com -
<mailto:ddfandrich at gmail.com> ddfandrich at gmail.com